Seasonal Museum Manager – East Coulee School Museum
The East Coulee School Museum is seeking a Full-Time Seasonal Museum Manager to oversee operations of the Museum through our peak season. The position contract is from late April to October 2023, with the possibility of extension. Museum Mission Statement – To connect people through exhibits and stories to the history and cultural heritage of the miners and the families of the Drumheller Valley during the s coal-mining era, from 1911 to 1959, with emphasis on East Coulee and the historic school. Museum Mandate – to preserve and exhibit the history and cultural heritage of the mining era of the Drumheller Valley.
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, Thursday to Monday 9:30 am to 5:30 pm
Compensation: $23 per hour
Education Requirements: Post-Secondary Certificate, Diploma, or Degree in History, Museum Studies, Business or a related field. Equivalent professional experience will be considered.
Direct Supervisor: Board of Directors
Job Summary: The Seasonal Museum Manager is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the Museum during our peak season months. The Museum Manager will be responsible for summer staff training, café operations, gift shop operations, programming, communications, and maintenance to ensure the museum is operated in a sustainable manner and that museum visitors have a positive, high-quality experience.
- Carry out supervisory/managerial responsibilities in accordance with Museum policies and procedures including training, planning, assigning, and directing work; establishing deadlines; appraising performance; and resolving conflict if necessary.
- Supervise the care and maintenance of the building and grounds.
- Respond to queries concerning the collections and requests for inter-facility artifact loans.
- Coordinate Museum bookings.
- Present programming for school and community organizations including the Museum’s Miss Morrison program, group tours, and basement tours.
- Represent the museum at external meetings, and our various communities to promote the museum and its programs and revenue services.
- Assist in promoting the museum through social media marketing on Facebook and Instagram.
- Performing website updates as needed.
- Organize and train volunteers.
- Develop a positive working environment to maximize productivity and create a positive experience for visitors.
- Oversee cash handling, deposits, and invoicing
- Ensure meaningful visitor records are being kept
- Oversee the general housekeeping duties of the Museum.
- Perform other job duties as assigned.
- Sitting – There will be periods of extended sitting, when office work is required.
- Walking – There will be a lot of continuous walking and standing in a large building, especially during peak season. Only the main floor of the Museum is fully accessible.
- General Maintenance – There will some general maintenance needed in the basement of the school. All available accommodations required will be provided to ensure the building is maintained.
- Knowledge of the history of the Drumheller Valley is considered an asset.
- Museum administration/management.
- Site and project management.
- Modern office practices and procedures.
- Strong written and oral communications and relational skills.
- Public relations and customer service.
- Bookkeeping and office skills.
- Follow and relay complex oral and written instructions, policies and procedures.
- Operate a variety of office equipment, including computer terminal, printer, calculator, fax, typewriter, and copier.
- Work in a team approach.
- Meet and deal courteously with the general public.
- Use discretion regarding privileged information and sensitive cultural issues.
- Effectively train and supervise personnel.
- Fund raising and grant writing.
Physical Demands Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Deadline for submissions is Thursday, May 6th, 2023
Only applicants invited to interview will be contacted.